[lbo-talk] repulsive right-wing press release

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Mar 27 05:48:32 PDT 2010

why do people want to come to the u.s. so badly? not poor folks, that I understand. and I sort of understand why folks want to come to the u.s. if they're programmers. but why do they end up wanting to stay? yesterday, I was having lunch with a friend who I worked with three years ago. He's since gone on the live elsewhere. I asked some of his mates at the table, "are you programmers too?" To which one replied, "Better to ask Indians if they are not programmers," and everyone laughed. (although this doesn't comport with my experience, actually. It's more like 50%)

From everything they say, they come from fairly well-off families at home. of course, this could be bragging. My one friend's father is an attorney. One brother is running a factory. And yet all of them are or want to be in the u.s. Even my close friend, k, who I watched transition from his first days in the u.s. to now, three years later, has married and is going through the green card process. I recall him being ecstatic once to learn that my kid called, asked for money and i responded, "sure, i'm transferring it online right now." K was ecstatic because this meant I had, to him, Indian values, not u.s. values. there are a ton of things about u.s. culture he doesn't appreciate compared to other Indian friends who have lots of great things to say about u.s. culture and why they don't want to live in India.

what is so great about being here. just the money? sold a bill of goods about opportunity?