[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 05:38:24 PDT 2010

Doesn't this statement kind of contradict the whole of evolutionary psychology, since morality and empathy presumably evolved as a way of perpetuating the selfish gene?

----- Original Message ---- From: Andy <andy274 at gmail.com>

I remember an interview with him where he says (to paraphrase) that it's to humans' credit that we've developed morality and empathy to the point that we can overcome evolutionary pressures and not be slaves of selfish genes.  Whether you agree with that point or not, it has a whiff of solidarity.

Calling him a rightist sounds like a new way of expressing being upset with what he says.

-- Andy