[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 09:33:42 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Andy <andy274 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Doesn't this statement kind of contradict the whole of evolutionary
> psychology, since morality and empathy presumably evolved as a way of
> perpetuating the selfish gene?
>
> Not if the environment changes faster than the genome does, which
> sounds like what's happened the past several thousand years.

Chris is talking about one school of evolutionary biology, which would hold that we evolved to hold hands and sing "Kumbaya," and of which Dawkins takes a dim view. In one of his more sweeping statements on the question, he wrote:

"I have many times written (for example in the first chapter of *A Devil's Chaplain*) that I am a passionate Darwinian when it comes to the science of how life has actually evolved, but a passionate ANTI-Darwinian when it comes to the politics of how humans ought to behave. I have several times said that a society based on Darwinian principles would be a very unpleasant society in which to live. I have several times said, starting at the beginning of my very first book, *The Selfish Gene*, that we should learn to understand natural selection, so that we can oppose any tendency to apply it to human politics."

http://www.richarddawkins.net/articles/2488

This is actually one of the rare occasions when I agree with Dawkins, or at least find his perspective more plausible than the other options.