[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 10:48:50 PDT 2010

I take it that most here, though probably not Mr. Catron, are forgetting or are unaware of Darwinian attention to mutualism (direct and indirect, symbiotic [facultative, obligate, monophylic, oligophylic or polyphilic], non-symbiotic and commensualist between animals and other animals, animals and plants, animals and bacteria, bacteria and plants and plants and plants) and contingency... in such a world, a Darwinian model is mighty hard to model along anything like simplistic competitively selectionistg darwinist lines, social or otherwise.

The nightmare that is sociobiology and evolutionary psychology lies in their irresponsible reductionism. If you're interested in sources D H Boucher, S James, K H Keeler, 1982, "The Ecology of Mutualism." Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics. Vol. 13, Pages 315-347 is fabulous and then there's always Levins and Lewontin's Dialectical Biology...