[lbo-talk] More Times fearmongering

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Mar 30 13:30:52 PDT 2010

I would say no. Ironically enough, the Federal budget documents routinely include -- or used to include, I haven't looked at them in a couple of years -- a good explanation why the public sector is not like a corporation, hence a balance sheet exercise doesn't make sense.

The genesis of this is the Social Security Act, which mandated a 75 year, PV comparison of in-go and out-go. In more recent years the trustees' report includes an infinite horizon calculation as well.