[lbo-talk] It's May Day....

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Sat May 1 15:43:25 PDT 2010

Apologies for the incoherence, I was typing on my phone. What's most striking to me about the protests today and the ones on March 4th isn't the little coverage they received in the mainstream media, but how much the not-so-large tea party movement has comparably influenced the national debate. Is it simply a matter of them having the vocal backing of an entire wing of bourgeois politics and having Fox News as an outlet? Is it how outrageous and comical they are? Or is it because students and immigrants are "suppose" to be protesters, but Joe the Plumber and his wife are suppose to sitting at home watching the QVC / 700 Club, harboring their righteous rage in silence?