[lbo-talk] musings re immigration reform

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Sun May 2 09:23:12 PDT 2010

On May 1, 2010, at 9:30 PM, Sean Andrews wrote:

> In short, a beta test associating it with the equivalent of slave
> transports for people below working class is not the best way to get
> average middle class white* people to use a system of public
> transportation--much less fund it with their tax dollars.

Your points were all pertinent to this 'beta test', but I think each is addressable. Your point about 'illegals' falls into the category of "resolving some immigration issues that face the government". Tracking entering agricultural workers may seem like a worthy goal to those in a position to provide public funding. Like you implied - white folks aren't going to ride it, anyway. Operational funding could be shouldered with a tax on the agricultural product of this 'stoop labor'.

In short, it seemed like a far more productive investment in modern infrastructure than other proposals on various tables.

martin