[lbo-talk] A possibly useful tool for Carrol and others (WAS Re:willingham on the NAEP scores)

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun May 2 14:04:16 PDT 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

And audible text cannot be merely browsed
> in to determine inbterest. One needs legible print for that.

Are you sure about that? A blind classmate and former housemate of mine, now a technology instructor at one of the big blind service agencies here in the city, frequently opined that all of us would eventually switch to text-to-speech technology since, according to her, we could absorb far more words/unit of time that way. I haven't done the research to find out if she was right about that, and also haven't switched over myself, but will note that she doesn't seem to have any disadvantages, compared with me, when it comes to casual browsing, serious reading, or anything in between.