[lbo-talk] On immigration

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 18:24:06 PDT 2010

Doug: And the fact that they gravitate towards booming regions.

Somebody: And, as far as I know, immigration rates nationally have been down since 2007 (in other words, since the economic downturn), which further confirms your point.

Of course, conservatives have the counter-argument that immigrants can also be attracted by welfare programs. I have to say, from an anecdotal standpoint, I don't find this to be a very persuasive argument. People live family and home for good paying jobs and economic mobility, not for social services.