[lbo-talk] willingham on the NAEP scores

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sun May 2 22:25:47 PDT 2010

Yes, some test scores are getting better because more and more teachers are having to teach to the test.

This leaves out anything that would give and depth and breadth and richness to the curriculum. Hence, the flatness.

The first step in education reform is to boycott these tests.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Fisher" <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Sunday, May 2, 2010 2:25:18 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] willingham on the NAEP scores

The gist of the article, dealing with the latest National Assessment of Educational Progress (national reading and iirc also math tests) is roughly this: reading appears to be improving at lower levels because students are getting better earlier at decoding. But decoding is of course not comprehension. Reading scores for high school students are flat, and Willingham's point is that this is because their decoding skills are already developed, but they are not getting the breadth of content knowledge for better comprehension. Leaving aside questions about the usefulness of the tests being used for the NAEP, it matters because curricula have been focusing on (largely non-domain-transferable) reading "skills" when what's really missing is a broad (dare I call it "liberal"?) curriculum that give students knowledge and experience that they can then use when they read.

I reckon that's the nutshell.