[lbo-talk] It's May Day....

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon May 3 13:05:43 PDT 2010

Old fart that I am, videogames kind of give me the creeps. Content aside, don't they encourage people to sit in front of a screen all by themselves in a way that encourages atomization and social isolation?

Doug

^^^^^ CB: This reminds of us old farts' critiquing the structure of television watching. And with television, the watcher is a passive recipient of "information", brainwashing; doesn't usually interact much with fellow-watchers. On the other hand, there is much wider social contact passively received. "Technically" videogames are social contact with game makers ( as well as some fellow-players), I guess.

Automobiles at first sight atomize compared with other mass transit. Car driving is not passive though. It's one piece of heavy machinery that masses learn to operate. And driving in traffic is very social; one relies critically on the good driving of others, trusting thousands of strangers with your life; not to mention trusting those who made the car. Sort of turns into its opposite