[lbo-talk] how did you become a lefty

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon May 3 17:40:39 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:11 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote:

stories of how your consciousness was raised please!

It depends on what you mean by "lefty" and "consciousness." As I resolutely insisted at a dinner Ravi organized over Christmas 2008, there is no "story" behind my politics, other than an ongoing cognitive process through which I continually seek to refine my understanding of the world.

If the question is how I became actively involved, though, the answer is probably Seattle and the protest scene (and I use the word very deliberately) that subsequently arose around labor, ecology, and similar issues among the camous set. I was basically in the right place at the right time.