[lbo-talk] hey Zizek fans

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Mon May 3 18:39:02 PDT 2010

On May 3, 2010, at 6:08 PM, Mike Beggs wrote:

> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> It might produce a better discussion for you to explain what you find
>> unhelpful and why, rather than leaving us to guess about it.
>
> I guess mainly the excitement about revolutionary terror and the
> fostering of informers. Why present this kind of thing as essential to
> communism and apparently celebrate it? I know it's part of his shtick
> to be provocative in this way, but I don't get the point.

I can see how it might seem unhelpful to spotlight science, in the way this para does ...

"The confusion of natural and cultural or economic concerns in the arguments over the prohibition of flights raised the following suspicion: how come the scientific evidence began to suggest it was safe to fly over most of Europe just when the pressure from the airlines became most intense? Is this not further proof that capital is the only real thing in our lives, with even scientific judgements having to bend to its will?"

martin