[lbo-talk] The Ideology Problem

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue May 4 04:08:02 PDT 2010

At 11:24 PM 5/3/2010, SA wrote:
>I think you have a point in a certain sense. The US left (including
>liberals/progressives, whatever) is constantly missing an enormous
>rhetorical opportunity to advance a critique of markets. Public colleges
>and Medicare and Soc Sec and lots of other things are non-market
>institutions. Although the public doesn't think of them this way, they are
>popular *because* they are non-market institutions. But they are never
>depicted that way in political discourse. (Partly because of the Ideology
>Problem.)

isn't the problem, from a marxist perspective, that we think in terms of market and non-market institutions? over here is the market, over here is the state, over here is civil society: that's a way of think that emerged with capitalism, itself; an ideology justifying it's naturalness, inevitability (in terms of progress! :) in terms of the way the cleavages between the three ostensibly enhanced individual freedom.

shag