[lbo-talk] Radical Biology 101 -- Dr. Stuart Newman on the Radio!

Mitchel Cohen mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Tue May 4 11:11:40 PDT 2010

Interview with Prof. Stuart Newman, professor of cell biology at NY Medical School.

Dr. Newman explains what is a gene, how cells develop, and critiques Darwin *from the Left*. He also discusses the philosophical and scientific shortcomings with genetic engineering, his own fascinating research about how and why cells (and species) differentiate and why Evolution is a fact, not a theory. ... but that the Darwinians need to revise it!

The show -- Steal This Radio #111 -- airs only over the internet TUESDAY, MAY 4 7 pm http://nytalkradio.net Click on "Listen Live"

It will be rebroadcast on FRIDAY, MAY 7 11 a.m.

After that, it will be podcast 24/7 at http://nytalkradio.net/wordpress/podcasts/category/stealthisradio/

Welcome to Radical Biology 101.

Many scientists say that all organisms become what they are due to particular chemicals knwn as genes, that exist in every cell in our bodies and determine all physical and sometimes psychological and social characteristics in each of us.

But today, a number of scientists are challenging that mechanical, reductionist model. One such scientist is Stuart Newman, cell biologist at the NY Medical College. Newman says that cells develop NOT solely – nor even primarily -- because genes order them about like cops at a demonstration or as embodiments of God in every cell, but through their physical relationship and proximity to other cells.

I admit it, I am a sucker for such dialectical arguments rooted in scientific research as much as philosophy, especially when it comes to Nature's variations and varieties, the patterns underlying how organisms develop, how they differ, how they are similar, as well as the basis for competing scientific explanations for this sacred and beautiful experience we all "Life".

And, how I despise those individuals and social foces that would strip us of life – "merchants of death trafficking in the machinery of Holocausts," in Daniel Ellsberg's apt description.

So today we speak with Dr. Stuart Newman about how cells AND species develop, evolve, and the current debates in science over this.

****************************************** ALSO, Please check out last week's show, STR 110 at http://nytalkradio.net/wordpress/podcasts/category/stealthisradio/

Mitchel Cohen interviews actress Karin de la Penha, who is currently appearing in "The Fly in the Fridge," now playing one Sunday a month at Smoke, on Manhattan's Upper West Side (Broadway & 105th St., $20 includes gourmet lunch and play); Karen also reads a poem by Richard Greeman and a couple of poems by Mitchel Cohen. http://www.kdlp.us

And, Mitchel and Karin in conversation with fast-talking Italian radicals Chiarra and MariaTeresa of the Italian Autonomist Movement, about what's happening with organizing Italy's youth.

Their websites (in Italian) are really top-notch as well: http://www.globalproject.info and http://www.uniriot.org

********************************************* To help fenable Mitchel to continue producing "Steal This Radio" and keep these great shows coming, please PayPal to mitchelcohen at mindspring.com

or send a check -- whatever you can afford is gratefully appreciated -- to:

Mitchel Cohen 2652 Cropsey Avenue, #7H Brooklyn, NY 11214