[lbo-talk] Christian right leader takes vacation with rent boy

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Tue May 4 13:21:46 PDT 2010

Well in terms of the world view that is embraced by the Christian right that's only to be expected. Man is inherently sinful, so it's not surprising that Christian right leaders might themselves struggle with homosexual desires. That, in their view, is only to be expected. The important thing from their viewpoint, is that by accepting Jesus as their personal savior, they can receive forgiveness. Since they believe that human history is a struggle between God and Satan, it's hardly surprising to them that Satan might attempt to take down Christian leaders thru a wide variety of temptations.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Christian right leader takes vacation with rent boy Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 16:12:44 -0400

On May 4, 2010, at 3:54 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> The problem is the false judgment of homswxuality of the "Christian
> Right." What does the minister's hypocrisy have to do with this?

I would argue that it's not hypocrisy. The recurrence of this sort of thing makes an interesting point about the source of homophobia in anxiety about one's own homosexual desire. Or, a secret life is the condition of possibility of Christian right politics - at least when one makes a career out of it, and then some.