[lbo-talk] What Is a Liberal?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri May 7 11:43:16 PDT 2010

I'm reading a raft of papers from students reacting to Mike Davis' chapter, Fortress LA, From City of Quartz...

A clear element of lay liberalism - as opposed to technocratic professional liberalism, is that there is a belief that 1) if people only knew the negative social, political, economic or ecological consequences of their actions then they wouldn't engage in the activities that produce these (surely unintended) consequences because 2) everybody (surely) agrees that doing stuff that hurts others (or nature) is bad and 3) no one really wants to do bad stuff.

My students are again and again and again "shocked", "sad about", "confused 'cuz", "can't believe" and "amazed" that so many bad things happen in so many places so often. In line with Shag's point about the centrality of communication - this is Platonic/Socratic, no? - my liberal students really believe that if people were told about all the bad that followed from the things they do and, therefore, really knew the good then they'd do good things.