[lbo-talk] left is to blame for tea party

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Sun May 9 14:01:10 PDT 2010

CGE wrote: I don't think Chomsky says that the Left is to blame for the tea party. What he says - causing consternation - is that the tea party arises from legitimate grievances. He objects to a response to the teapartiers that is simply ridicule. The Limbaughs and the Palins offer plausible but false answers for real economic distress - "crazy, but extremely dangerous" answers. It's the job of the Left to counter those answers, not just dismiss them.

Of course the administration and its supporters are working hard to convince us that all their critics are just crazy racists - an interesting example of Walter Benn Michaels' notion of the substitution of race for class. --CGE -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Clearly you and Chomsky must be calling for us to reach out to the TP group. Clearly they are just a bunch of 'haters and ratfuckers'. How dare you tell us not to ridicule the TPers and call them names, we are just 'bonding' and 'blowing off steam'. What 'stupid' ideas.

Brad, doing his impression of shag, Alan and Carrol.