[lbo-talk] EU gets serious

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 10 07:21:41 PDT 2010

True, but also seriously misleading. In the particular case, a revolution was not on the agenda, but the abrupt enttteriing of some 10% of the population into real rather than merely nominal citizenship. (See Tamas on the nature of 19th & 20th-c struggles as for equality rather than freedom.) This was a messy uneven, and complicated process -- NOT 'planned' in advance or even forseen by anyone. The only partial adequacvy of the Civil Rights Act of 1965 (or even the act as scuh) was not scribbled on the agenda of the NAACP when they discussed over several years before 1955 what they would do when the time came for Rosa Parks to refuse to move. Nor was the November 1959 Moratorium part of the PLAN when some people decided to say fuck you to Huac in San Francisco in 1960.

At a more advanced stage in that struggle, as I've mentioned before, neighborhoods where the Panthers and dSNCC had done work did not riot after the murder of King. Nevertheless, the process was not so far advanced for the apolitical riots of that week not still being part of the total context. So in retrospece Wattts WAS _part_ of a revolution, a revolution that overthrew the Second Republic (the foundation of which is dramatized in _Birth of a Nation_). It took a few more years, including some disorderly rioting by non-politicied elements) before the exact terms of that Third Republic in which we now live were worked out. (Such as that Gays would no longer ber beaten & arrested by police but still would not have full citizen ship -- no marriage etc.)

So your father was both right in a general way and wrong in the particular instance in that while Watts was definitely not a Revolution, it _was_ a marginal (but perhaps important) incident in a long and messy procesds. We don't _know_ now whether the Greek riots were merely riots or part of somethng elsee. That can only be seen looking backwards from some point in the future. (For a beautiful illustration of your father's point, see the debate that took place among those engaged in on the night of the stroming of the Winter Palace -- the debate, on the spot, concerneed precisely the topic of looting, and after some uncertainty the non-looting was decided on. But an awful lot had gone on beofre that!)

The Greek demos/riots may well at this time resemble Watts rather than the storming of the Winter Palace -- but I would venture that over the last few days a lot of conversation is going on in living rooms, coffee shops, parks, etc. What their content or results might be I do not know.

Carrol