[lbo-talk] Analysis of Tea Party

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon May 10 11:08:24 PDT 2010

[WS:] That is not how I read the article. I do not think that he argues that people are "genuinely tired or angry." Au contraire. His argument is that people are delusionally over-confident in their own selves and what they can accomplish "on their own" - and as a result see the institutions and society as an impediment of their own will and capacity. Consequently, they tend to listen only to those who cater to their inflated sense of ego (mainly right wing demagogues) and ignore other messages and even common sense. Reaganism is a product of that mentality, not the cause.

I also thing that this is something new - a product of consumerism on an unprecedented scale.

Wojtek