[lbo-talk] more back-asswards perceptions

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 05:34:06 PDT 2010

[WS:] You need to keep it in mind that the people who report high levels of SHS or SWB are not necessarily the same ones who experience obesity, inadequate access to health care, poor living standards, etc. There can be a significant self-selection bias in the sample, as the better off people are more likely to participate in life satisfaction surveys .

Another point - there is a reference group effect. In a country with high levels of social stratification, people in the "middle" will report higher levels of subjective satisfaction than people in the "middle" of countries with lower level of social stratification, because they reference groups are different. The former are much better off than the underclass (their reference group) and say so in the survey. The latter are not that much different than anyone else, so their subjective perceptions are lower relative to their reference.

Finally, I think Joanna is absolutely correct - there is a cultural difference between the US and Europe in how whining is perceived. That may explain quite a bit about the differences in subjective perceptions.

In general, cross-national comparisons of absolute scores of subjective scales are pretty meaningless because of these cultural differences. A better way is comparison of relative scores, that is how satisfaction in A compares to satisfaction in B for the same country sample or even respondent and then compare relative positions of A cross-nationally (which is what Kahneman did.)

Wojtek