[lbo-talk] Outsider's Reverie

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue May 11 16:36:46 PDT 2010

At 03:37 PM 5/11/2010, Chuck Grimes wrote:

>Yes. I had to check a map. It looks likw Temple runs parallel to Beverly.

That's right, though they almost kiss each other where Beverly meets Silverlake Blvd.

>After Guadalajara, it sure didn't seem `tough' at the time. Although
>now that I think back, it had that reputation.

Temple Street is the name of one of the oldest gangs in town, though now it's also one of the smallest. Some members were framed in the Rampart Scandal a few years back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rampart_scandal

>And then too, if he is an administrator in the UC system, that's a
>whole other bad influence. Working in the administration can turn
>anybody brain dead and completely souless. It's just part of the
>job. I watched similar transformations up here at UCB among
>moderately radical disabled men and women who got on the
>professional career path.

I was just introduced today to Atul Gawande, a doctor who has been writing about health care reform in Slate and the New Yorker. He may be a fine physician, but as a journalist he's a hack. I don't think he ever had a chance since he was a "lieutenant" for Clinton's health care plan when he was still 20 something. He's one of those managed competition guys.