[lbo-talk] National Journal: Do 'Family Values' Weaken Families?

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 12 07:15:07 PDT 2010

Doug: 'Garance France-Ruta put it nicely a couple of years ago, when she said that "family values" are aspirational. Stable families are a feature of the better-off, so the worse-off members of the working class think that stability is the cause of prosperity, and not the other way around.'

I don't know if this is similar, but at my daughters' school (Elementary, I think you would call it, anyway age five to 11) there was a row about sex education. The parents divided along class lines, with the more middle class siding with the teachers in wanting sex education younger and more explicit. The working class parents were a lot more reluctant, and baulked at some of the detail. I ahve seen similar reactions over school uniform (working class for, middle class against).

The way I read it, the working class parents are more anxious about family breakdown, and prefer stronger lines of authority, but prefer not to give that up to the school, necessarily, and are less liberal, culturally.

The middle class parents by contrast are relaxed about authority, because they exercise it through rewards and have relatively secure family backgrounds. They had little trouble with the sex education.

The teachers were with the middle class parents, and shared with them a distrust of the working class parents, wanting as soon as possible to take the matters of personal development out of the working class home and put it into the classroom, and under the tutelage of experts.