[lbo-talk] London Underground's Privatization Experiment Dead as Remaining PPP is Bought Out

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed May 12 21:14:47 PDT 2010

I think you are right about privatization, I'm not quite as sure about all public-private partnerships. My sense is, and I wonder if Chuck agrees, that phenomena like the Berkeley-Novartis and Berkeley-BP deals aren't supposed to fail, though they ARE supposed to succeed by transferring the dead labor of long-term public investments in infrastructure, training and (sometimes) prestige into profitably commodifiable knowledge and technologies (sometimes recompensed in the form of sharing proprietary knowledge or technologies, sometimes by means of technology transfer payments, sometimes by profit sharing and sometimes generating a revolving door - in real or serial time - between industry and the academy.) That there are ancillary consequences, like the move away from the historically public (however contradictory) mission of state universities and a prioritization of research and regional economic sponsorship over teaching and citizenship (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know this reflects a romanticized view of the past), much less contingency over tenure, is all the better.