[lbo-talk] LBO News from Doug Henwood

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu May 13 10:16:23 PDT 2010

Shane: "The elephant in the room is this: The entire rationale for the imperial war in Afghanistan is the 9/11 conspiracy theory (Cheney/Obama version)."

[WS:] The logic of the above escapes me altogether.

I think the elephant in the room is that conspiracy theories serve a function similar to magic rituals - they create an illusion of manageability of something that is no manageable - at least to ordinary schmucks. If the world events are procured by a small cabal of conspirators, then tracking and exposing these conspirators will produce a change in the world events and thus the conspiracy theorists can dream that they can save the world.

Or put it differently, the elephant in the room is that conspiracy theorist tend to have difficulties in conceptualizing systemic causes of events and anthropomorphize these causes instead.

Wojtek