[lbo-talk] Please help the Grande Ole Opry

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri May 14 08:48:13 PDT 2010

The "southern indolence" comment by Michael pissed me off. He said the Grand Ole Opry was preserved 'til now, thanks to the peculiar indolence of the US south.

And this IN SPITE of my saying the Grand Ole Opry that exists now is actually one that was rebuilt, transferred into Opryland, etc., from the original Grand Ole Opry, which is a historical building in downtown Nashville. I.e. the exact opposite of Southern indolence and/or folks sitting on their asses. A lot of work went into it. It's not some crumbling tomb.

And, Doug, you wrote:

"You think NYC gets a lot of help from the rest of the USA?"

Maybe selectively, a la 9/11. Compare that to New Orleans in Katrina and ... even now (BP/Transocean oil spill)? And versus the Grand Ole Opry. I'm sorry, "southern indolence" is a load of shit re: the Grand Ole Opry and I'm sick of the casual shit-dumping on most things southern on the list. It's an ingrained bias I've just noticed voice here on the list time and again. I don;t see it re: NYC or Chicago.

-B.