[lbo-talk] Please help the Grande Ole Opry

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri May 14 08:50:55 PDT 2010

Wow, I've heard and seen a great deal more on Nashville and The Grand Ole Opry than I did on the equally, if not worse, flooding in Rhode Island last month... but, surely, RI doesn't have anything as important as the Opry... and no one in ME, NH, VT, RI, CT, NJ, PA, MD, VA, or NC thinks that NY, Boston and DC get all the coverage of New England and the mid-Atlantic states, and no place else in the region matters... there was little or no national coverage of the absolutely devastating ice storm the crushed upstate NY, VT and NH (much less even mre of Ontario) 15 years ago, there's even less coverage of the semi-regular sever floods of the Red River in NDak and Minn. hardly get much of anything nationally, the absolutely devastating drought in Georgia 2-3 years ago hardly got much coverage, seen anything about the 13-20 percent unemployment in Michigan of late, how about all the tens of thousands of people who've been part of regional and/or national protests who've gotten no coverage? Anyone in the South give a rats ass about the South Bronx, about Southie, about Maine, about Flint, Cleveland, Gary, Compton, Oakland, Fresno, Coos Bay, The Tri-Cities? Its not about the South and its not about NY, its about the death of public sentiment and mutuality, and the juxtaposition of ever greater inderdependencies with ever greater indifference, defensiveness and paranoia... The national news media sucks, regional and local news media cover nothing (to speak of) outside their region/locale, what's new?

The Grand Ole Opry should be saved, but so should the Library of Michigan. Where's Ebbett's Field, the Fillmore East, CBGBs? Where are the historical markers and archives for any number of pivotal events in US labor history, and how is it that none of them are in HS textbooks?

This isn't about regional snobbery, though that stuff surely exists.