[lbo-talk] biography of marx?

Bill Quimby wquimby at embarqmail.com
Fri May 14 16:58:34 PDT 2010

Wheen's bio (Karl Marx: A Life 2001) is a quick read, and has a light touch (that is to say is not heavily involved in his intellectual development -more willing to describe his shooting out lamplights on the way home from the pub!). But I have been dipping into Mehring's bio (Karl Marx: The Story Of His Life) lately and find it fascinating. Not sure of the original authoring date but he died in 1919. His writing is a treat, coming from a very different 19th century Germanic scholar background - and he was involved with Liebknecht and Luxemburg in the Spartacus movement. Probably, though, something to be read AFTER you have read a more recent version that takes into consideration what were unknown writings (the 1844 Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts, for example) to Mehring.

While Lichtheim did not do a bio per se, his "Marxism, An Historical and Critical Study", is really an "intellectual" bio in disguise.

- Bill