[lbo-talk] Chomsky and the Tea Party

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat May 15 05:14:30 PDT 2010

this is a conversation i was in at an organizing meeting for a workers education project:

The debate broke out at an organizing meeting for a worker justice center. When someone offhandedly derided the Tea Party, Joe, a labor lawyer with a long history of anti-racist, pro-labor activism, interjected: "I won't write off the Tea Party. At least they're in the streets!" Troubled by nods of agreement, Allen, a retired high school teacher, admonished them: "The Klan were in the streets too. We didn't write them off, we fought them!"

apparently, fighting their assholery is not an option.

because, what this is really all about is the "merely cultural" faction against people who think it's a little more ccomplicated than that these folks have ideas and beliefs that are "merely cultural" and can be wiped away, as if culture is written on a whiteboard, it can be wiped clean with the proper theories, explanation, and political practice. Since, apparently, left theory and practice, on this view, is like whiteboard cleaner in a bottle.

curiously, that whiteboard cleaner never works for me. the traces of ideology remain on the whiteboard.

scrub harder!