[lbo-talk] Chomsky and Tea Party

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Sat May 15 09:58:49 PDT 2010

It's at times like these where Chomsky--and not just Chomsky--gives lie, in a bad way, to his stated (and reactionary) belief that philosophy and politics are absolutely separated. Philosopher Chomsky believes that people are innately free and strive for freedom. People's embrace of enslaving politics like the TP movement is an errant straying, and the left's failure is that it hasn't stop this wayward movement from people's true nature.

Similarly for Political Chomsky, the TP is not something that is produced by the conjuncture but is a mistake, a misrecognition of the situation and bad consciousness of how to respond to it. But this is nutty. The TPers are as valid of a creation of this time as any other movement; there's nothing inherently illogical or incongruent about them. The only reason he thinks "they" can be organized is because he thinks they are mistaken.

As shag has shown better than I can, it's completely idiotic--not to mention at odds with just about every word the guy has ever written--to think that "the left" should be able to overcome by sheer will and organizational efforts the capital-state machine. It's also completely apolitical. According to Chomsky, since politics are not produced but are merely the movement away from or toward our static true nature, the left has nothing to do with collectivity or creation but is just a group of individuals who decide to do things one way and carry out their plan. Since freedom is not produced but is inherited, politics is merely the art of persuasion.