[lbo-talk] pesticides are bad for kids

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 08:39:10 PDT 2010

Sean "The study is of the higher percentage of pesticides in urine of kids who have been diagnosed with the label. "

[WS:] That is the problem. You need to show that higher levels on the independent variable (pesticide exposure) lead to a higher probability of ADHD diagnosis (the dependent variable.) Showing that certain conditions on the DV are associated with certain conditions on the IV does not quite do it, because it doe not exclude possible spuriousness. For example if 70% of a population has condition A and 20% of the population has condition B, then you would expect that 70% of the subpopulation that has B would also have A - if these two conditions were independent. For example, in a population of 1,000 the number of Bs is 200, of which 140 (70%) would have A and only 60 would not. To establish a causes connection between A and B you would need to show that the subpopulation with A is more likely to have B than subpopulation where A is absent, say, 20% vs 10%.

It is quite possible that people who are more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD (mostly lower socio economic strata) also are more likely to be exposed to pesticides (as they cannot afford more expensive organic food,) which may produce statistical correlations but not necessarily causality.

As to my larger point - liberal application of the ADHD label - I d not think that the main driving force behind it is pig pharma pushing Ritalin, but rather the fundamentally fucked up education system in the US. To make a long story short, every kid age 6 to 18 is legally required to go though a college-bound curriculum, whether he has any interest in it or not. Not only that, every kid is required to take repeated tests how well he or she absorbs that curriculum. There is no other alternative (unless your parents can spare $k a year to enroll you in an 'alternative' school.) So if you happen to be a kid who has no desire or necessary to learn Shakespeare and Algebra II, but you are required to sit in classroom (on the pain of your old folks being dragged before a truancy court) - you will show all the symptoms that the DSM IV associates with ADHD - which is a perfectly normal reaction.

So labeling such kids with an ADHD label may be a desirable alternative to admitting the fundamental failure of one size fits all educational system. This can be desirable not just to school administrators, but also to pie in the sky liberals who imagine that they can reduce social inequality by merely offering 'educational opportunity' and consequently oppose the idea of two different tracks vocational and college-bound.

Wojtek