[lbo-talk] recessions: better for right than left

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 17 11:31:12 PDT 2010

http://lbo-news.com/2010/05/17/recessions-better-for-right-than-left/

For a long time, I’ve been critical of the left-wing penchant for economic crisis. Many radicals have fantasized that a serious recession —or depression—would lead to mass radicalization, as scales simultaneously fell from millions of pairs of eyes and the imperative of transcending capitalism became self-evidently obvious. I’ve long thought that was nonsense, and now there’s empirical support for my position....