[lbo-talk] young Jews: not very Zionist

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Tue May 18 01:43:02 PDT 2010

[posted to Marxmail by Lou Proyect - this is amazing coming from a liberal hawk like Beinart]

New York Review of Books - June 10, 2010

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/jun/10/failure-american-jewish-establishment/

The Failure of the American Jewish Establishment by Peter Beinart

Yeah, I'd recommend it too. It confirms most of my impressions among Jewish friends. Israel is in big trouble around here and it isn't restricted to the young, and doesn't divide so easily on the Orthodox line, because it depends on which of the Orthodox you follow.

I think this is the key quote:

``For several decades, the Jewish establishment has asked American Jews to check their liberalism at Zionism's door, and now, to their horror, they are finding that many young Jews have checked their Zionism instead.''

CG