[lbo-talk] Obama appoints climate denialist and proud homophobe to fix Gulf spill

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 18 07:59:26 PDT 2010

<http://www.americablog.com/2010/05/obama-admin-picks-climate-change.html

Obama admin picks climate-change-denying homophobe to 'fix' Gulf oil spill disaster by John Aravosis (DC) on 5/17/2010 02:57:00 PM

The oil industry would be proud of Jonathan I. Katz, the man the Obama administration has chosen to take a stab at fixing the Gulf oil spill disaster. He's an avowed "proud homophobe," who thinks that "sodomites" are responsible for infecting "innocent victims" with AIDS, and he's an Al Gore hating climate change denialist too!

Here are his thoughts on climate change and Al Gore:

> Who is stoking the alarm about global warming? There is Al Gore, an
> over-the-hill politician who wants to remain in the public eye. His
> house uses 20 times as much electricity as the average American
> house and he flies private jets. Obviously, he does not believe what
> he preaches; it must be an act. Conservation is for the little
> people. I'll think about reducing my emissions after he reduces his
> by 95%. Then there is Jim Hansen, would-be dictator who wants to
> throw in jail anyone who disagrees with him or burns coal. He may
> wish himself another Mussolini (or worse), but people just laugh at
> him. And finally John Holdren, who in his younger days was
> prophesying disaster from the ice age then just beginning (so he
> said). Fictitious crises are a demogogue's route to power.
>
> Fortunately, global warming is probably good for humanity. Sit back,
> relax, and watch it happen.

And here's what Katz has to say about the "innocent victims" of AIDS:

"These people died so the sodomites could feel good about themselves."

But I'm sure a climate change denier is a really good scientist otherwise. (Other than that Mrs. Lincoln...) Much more on AMERICAblog Gay....

<http://gay.americablog.com/2010/05/takeobama-admin-appoints-self.html>

Jonathan I. Katz. was recently appointed by the Obama administration, along with four other scientists, to an elite panel of "our best scientific minds" to help BP cut off the oil spill.

Jonathan I. Katz is also a "proud homophobe," by his own admission. He's even written an article, published on his personal Web site at the Washington University physics department, titled "In Defense of Homophobia." And what a defense it is.

Here are a few snippets from one of our best scientific minds about how the homos killed lots of innocent people with their AIDS:

> The religious believer may see the hand of God, but both he and the
> rationalist must see a fact of Nature. The human body was not
> designed to share hypodermic needles, it was not designed to be
> promiscuous, and it was not designed to engage in homosexual acts.
> Engaging in such behavior is like riding a motorcycle on an icy road
> without a helmet. It may be possible to get away with it for a
> while, and a few misguided souls may get a thrill out of doing so,
> but sooner or later (probably sooner) the consequences will be
> catastrophic. Lethal diseases spread rapidly among people who do
> such things.
>
> Unfortunately, the victims are not only those whose reckless
> behavior brought death on themselves. There are many completely
> innocent victims, too: hemophiliacs (a substantial fraction died as
> a result of contaminated clotting factor), recipients of
> contaminated transfusions, and their spouses and children, for AIDS
> can be transmitted heterosexually (in America, only infrequently)
> and congenitally. The icy road was lined with unsuspecting
> innocents, who never chose to ride a motorcycle. Guilt for their
> deaths is on the hands of the homosexuals and intravenous drug
> abusers who poisoned the blood supply. These people died so the
> sodomites could feel good about themselves.
>
> What of those cursed with unnatural sexual desires? Must they
> forever suppress these desires? Yes, but this is hardly a unique
> fate. Almost everyone has desires which must be suppressed. Most men
> and women think adulterous thoughts fairly often, and find
> themselves attracted to members of the opposite sex to whom they are
> not married. Morality requires them to suppress these desires, and
> most do not commit adultery, though they feel lust in their hearts.
> Almost everyone, at one time or another, covets another's property.
> They do not steal. Many people feel great anger or intense hatred at
> some time in their lives. They do not kill.
>
> I am a homophobe, and proud. (emphasis added)

President Obama promised us change. He promised to be our fierce advocate. Appointing avowed bigots to elite panels, and lauding them as the best minds of our nation, is offensive the millions of LGBT Americans who voted en masse for this President. It is difficult to believe that the Obama administration couldn't find anyone else to help deal with this crisis. We all want the government to do everything it can to stop the oil spill, but elevating an avowed homophobe, and giving him the imprimatur, and the stamp of legitimacy, of the Obama administration, is simply wrong.

[Action alert: http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/6006/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1801 ]