[lbo-talk] Obama appoints climate denialist and proud homophobe to 'fix' Gulf oil spill disaster

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Tue May 18 12:57:56 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:50 PM, James Heartfield < Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> 'Obama appoints climate denialist and proud homophobe to 'fix' Gulf oil
> spill disaster'
> And do either of these beliefs interfere with his ability to deal with the
> Gulf oil spill disaster?

No, they don't. But it's still a really stupid political move given the O admin's purported concern for its gay and environmental constituencies.

> (BP, it should be said, was the oil firm that made great play of its
> commitment to determination to go 'Beyond Petroleum', and promote
> alternative energy sources - which did not seem to prevent them doing the
> dirty deed.)

Like you, and Doug, I'm sure I never believed the hype from BP (any more than I believe Chevron cares oh-so-very-much about prairie dogs, etc.)

> But, of course, the real story - as others here have pointed out - is that
all of this comes from Reagan-Bush-Clinton-Bush policies - largely continued by Obama - to collaborate with and trust rather than regulate and discipline (to whatever limited extent emerged under Nixon-Ford-Carter) the petroleum, mining, forest products and grazing industries.