[lbo-talk] recessions: better for right than left

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue May 18 14:00:31 PDT 2010

[WS:] It is indeed naive to think that mere worsening of economic situation will precipitate a radical rebellion, or even radicalization of the masses.

That radicalization can only occur as a result of the existing social order and social control exercised by the elites. This can be demonstrated by contrasting Russia and Germany at the end of WW1 - breakdown occurred in Russia (as the army that was the main pillar of the state order disintegrated) but not in Germany (where social order was maintained by many means not just the army) despite a defeat - and it was Russia that experienced a successful radical revolution, while revolution attempt in Germany failed.

It is unlikely that a mere economic downturn will dissolve social order and social control by the elite - far more than that is needed.

Wojtek