[lbo-talk] Noam 1, Israelo-apartheid 0

CGreen7223 at aol.com CGreen7223 at aol.com
Tue May 18 17:06:04 PDT 2010

The Fateful Triangle was also my first Chomsky book. I read it about a month after I finished high school in 1997. It blew me away too. It was my first exposure to left ideas, to anti-imperialism and I would gobble up more Chomsky books in the coming year. I thought Chomsky was pretty much infallible for years. His analysis is still vigorous but less so as he has gotten older. He loves to cite polls to show that the American population is supposedly well to the left of the Democratic Party. I think he reads too much into those polls. And his analysis of the Tea Partiers, referring to them as a bunch of guys with stagnating wages who are angry at bankers and who should be organized by the left, has a few problems. And I wish he would give a more in-depth analysis of the Latin American situation that just saying the region is breaking free of US hegemony. He has apparently spent some time meeting with Lula in 01 or 02 and Corriea several years ago so perhaps he dosen't want to critique them too deeply and offend them. But he still comes up with a bunch of interesting little tidbits from the media that make books that are very good if not as good as the chomsky canon of the 80's and 90's