[lbo-talk] While you are pontificating about traveling circuses in the US...

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Wed May 19 12:07:19 PDT 2010

Wojtek asked:

Any more information on what is going [on in Thailand]?

I've been following events here --

<http://2bangkok.com/>

[excerpt]

Claims of civil war - May 16, 2010

Yesterday, at the height of the rioting in Bangkok, a group of older cleaning ladies were in my office. They were all from the provinces as most of the physical laborers are in Bangkok. When they saw MCOT running on a TV with various government figures and commentators, they started telling me how these people were no good and were all going to be killed soon. They kept pointing to the government men on TV and then making the "slit throat" gesture with their fingers.

Events of recent years have unleashed a huge amount of partisan information and unbridled hate into the political system that will likely challenge the Thai political system for years to come. However, it is important to contrast the distant and fearful international view of what is happening (such as CNN coverage that is focusing on violent events on the ground) with the background detail of what is propelling events and how they might play out.

[...]

full at --

<http://2bangkok.com/10/100516CivilWar.shtml>

.d.