[lbo-talk] for want of a rope

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu May 20 20:22:43 PDT 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net>wrote:

In Catron world, the Opry is in the right for disciplining members who get
> drunk and break things, but the church hierarchy is somehow not responsible
> for criminal sexual abuse perpetrated by its members.

Dennis, the differences between "in the right" and "entirely predictable" are substantial. I suggest reviewing them in the current "Noam 1, Israelo-apartheid 0" thread, as I'm not at all sure I'm competent to present them fairly or adequately. Here, I'll say only that if anyone is seeking to imbue this timeless dispute (between a pampered performer and unamused promoters) with some kind of breathless morality, it ain't me.

What do you mean by "responsible"? The buck for anything bad that happens (or, according to some, has ever happened) in a 2,000-year old institution, which rolls deeper than any country except China or India, stops at the Throne of Saint Peter, or what? Clarify your claim, please; you're asking me to argue against meaningless abstractions, and I lack the time or patience.