[lbo-talk] for want of a rope

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri May 21 00:33:31 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:43 AM, Alan Rudy <alan.rudy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, that's it, now I get it. Johnny Cash and those other folks were in
> pain, drank, popped pills, shot up and broke things (or took off their
> outer
> layer to cool off) because they were pampered...

Well, there's a reason I've never done any of those things except the last (and, in fairness, I don't understand the Neko Case example, nor can I find anything substantial about it online) while on the clock, in direct sight of any boss I've ever had.

> yeah, no genuine
> difficulties in their lives and certainly not any exacerbated by the
> demands
> of promoters "unamused" at the pampered artists' behavior but who,
> otherwise, were warm, supportive, caring people

No, that's silly. Of course they were in the business of pleasing their audience, and thereby making money. Should I be shocked by it? Sorry, but if I'm going to register moral outrage over the daily workings of capitalism, I'll save it for the torture chambers and killing fields.