[lbo-talk] for want of a rope

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri May 21 08:43:05 PDT 2010

What's predictable about what Doyle had to say? Did you bother to read it?

Where obviously blaming the Catholic hierarchy - within which Ratzinger has been a major player for decades (are you really saying that you think someone in the kinds of positions Ratzinger's been in for thirty or more years hasn't been part of the process w/r/t these decrees, these policies and these institutional failings?!) - for coming very very very late to the part, ignoring their own policies during the process and then not living up to anything like the standards they stand for much less demand of others. But, I guess you can't answer that because you can't figure out what we mean by church hierarchy, though most everyone else pretty clearly thinks of some powerful priests, and all bishops, archbishops, cardinals and the pope (but, then again, you knew that and were just jerking us around.)

You are the one talking about all the evil in the world, all the stuff I've seen from Dennis and me - absent the Opry (and, btw, its good to know that the personal crises of musical artists and contradictions of the culture industry can be reasonably compared to torture chambers and killing fields and thereby be dismissed as substantially meaningless for political people... I'm sure you'll stop paying attention to all such meaningless crap and any and all performers and artists since, of course, they're not Pol Pot or working at Abu Ghraib) - has been on the church and its complete and total BS when it comes to its own pedaphilia.

You are the one refusing to address the substance of Doyles, Dennis' and my arguments. While I hope you don't intend to, I must admit I've come to wonder given your seeming unequivical defense of Ratzinger et al on this topic, you come across as one defending all of the most conservative and reactionary policies of the Catholic Church, not even being willing to acknowledge - and, again, I know you've read Spong et al on this stuff - the utterly non- or twisted scriptual basis of the treatment of women, reproduction, contraception, and sexuality much less its contradictions for people within church institutions, for the way the church responds to those contradictions and for the problems it generates for the church's relationship with the great majority of the laity. Though, of course, this too probably doesn't matter any more than the difficulties artists have with promoters and the culture industry since, hell, no one was being tortured or killed... your stated standard for outrage.

If there is something accetable about the church's reaction to its own pedaphilia, we're wondering what you think that is.