[lbo-talk] Guardian: Craig Venter creates synthetic life form

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri May 21 21:55:12 PDT 2010

Time for everyone to reread Dr. Faustus. Marlowe's...

J. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Grimes" <c123grimes at att.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 12:35:38 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Guardian: Craig Venter creates synthetic life form

[About Craig Venter et al, creates first synethetic organism...]

Wow. But I have the same old worry. This system of production isn't going to remain in the confines of a science lab. It's headed into industry. Once it gets ramped up, it will be put to use like every other system for profit, whatever the market decides is profitable---which means it will be beyond any concept of benefit or hazard, except what makes money. And guess who some of the corporate sponsors are? Some of our favorites, Exxon-Mobile, Norvartis...

The other thing that bothers me about Venter is his ego, writ waay too large. They `signed' the DNA sequences with `water marks' that spell out the names of the research team. What kind of kinko shit is that? Why not Prometheus and other legendary figures?

This stuff is just ripe for malignant thoughts.

For people who prefer to read rather than watch video:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/0521/J.-Craig-Venter-Institute-creates-first-synthetic-life-form