[lbo-talk] the novel?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat May 22 17:28:51 PDT 2010

I occasionally read fiction. As a youngster, I read a lot of novels. As an adult, I mostly read non-fiction since working, parenting, and going to school meant too little time to do more than read what had to be read for school.

So, for the past three years, since I've had time, I've read more fiction. Started out with Iris Murdoch on Mike Ballard's suggestion. Have been reading whatever I've found recommended in Harper's or on the list.

I recall reading, years ago, that litcritters often study the novel as part of modernity. Was it Barth's _End of the Road_ that was supposed to have marked the birth of the postmodern novel? I read that years ago. Or was it Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow?

Question: must every damn modern novel be some sort of mystery? I'm not reading in the mystery genre. I'm just reading various novels - Lorrie Moore's The Gate at the Stairs, Othmer's The Futurist (not as funny as his non-fiction; embarrassing in the author's insistence on using "whom" in the ordinary conversations and IM exchanges of the characters!), Rose Tremain's The Road Home (embarrassing in its attempts to replicate the accents of various immigrants) etc. But the structure of the novels I've read (about 20 over the past three years) seems to involve the unfolding of some mystery, some surprise, some unexpected turn of events. I like the way Iris Murdoch does it ... but after awhile... I find it rather tedious.

Litcritters, help me out here. is this just then way it is with all novels.

shag