[lbo-talk] According to a McLaughlin Poll, A plurality of Jewish voters would consider someone else for President

Chuck Grimes c123grimes at att.net
Sun May 23 14:39:06 PDT 2010

First, does a McLaughlin Poll usually have veracity?

If so, how does this jive with the Beinart article?

Bryan Atinsky

I would say No to the first question. At the top right of their webpage:

``The Washington Times cites McLaughlin & Associates as one of the best Republican polling firms.''

You can't have it both ways. Be a party hack or be a trustworthy pollster.

I've become really suspicious of opinion polls in general, particularly polls that use words like `approve or disapprove.' The US is getting more polarized every year. I strongly disapprove of almost everything Obama and the Democrats have done and not done. But my reasons are very different or the exact opposite of those given by the right.

In brief I tend to trust the Beinart article. I re-read it to make sure. Here is the key difference. Luntz used focus group discussion, so Luntz could probe opinion and got a more nuanced view. McL & A used very loaded and baiting sorts of question and a small sample of 600 out of a five million poplution. So in my judgement Beinart was probably a more accurate assessment.

CG