[lbo-talk] my review of Avatar, in case anyone isn't "over it" already

Gail Brock gbrock_dca at yahoo.com
Tue May 25 07:41:15 PDT 2010

Why is spirituality in noble-native films always a feature of warrior culture? I think we're more likely to swoon over feelings of victimization addressed through macho competition culminating in militarism.

________________________________ HJ, Tue, May 25, 2010 6:18:53 AM:

On another tack, a really interesting theme was the spirituality of the Navi, which is very tangible. They feel it, are able to call on it, and hear its response. This is perhaps a characteristic of indigenous culture in reality; while the more our blinkers are extended; the more our modes of rational understanding, scientific control and sensory surrogates are extended, the further removed it is, or we are from it. The more, as a result, when we call the answer is nothing, a void; inducing the self-fulfilling nihilism of Western culture. Watching the film maybe some of us swoon over the depiction of a tangible and communing spirituality we crave and remember.