[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue May 25 10:39:41 PDT 2010

A younger or new teacher may have more energy and enthusiasm, a senior one could be burned out. My wife, may she rest in peace, was one of those who came in with little credentials after decades as an attorney, but my perception was that she was a very good teacher with a motivation advantage over some of the burn-outs in her school. (D.C. has trouble hiring teachers so it is possible to get in as a 'permanent substitute' and acquire credentials -- via night school courses -- while working.)

So you never know.

Of course teacher layoffs are criminally dumb, so it doesn't pay to argue over how best to lay off. How to weed out low-performers is a good question, one to which I haven't the answer.