[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue May 25 11:30:37 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:20 PM, <123hop at comcast.net> wrote:

> The pragmatic wing of the neo-liberal goons tell us that education is not
> necessary for most people who will wind up with Wal=mart type jobs.

That probably felt nice to say, but is it true? I haven't looked at the numbers in awhile, but hasn't the time generally said to coincide with neoliberalism also had a sizable increase in the percentage of people attending college, and haven't the number of people attaining advanced degrees exploded in the last 30 years or so, particularly the number of women and minorities?

I don't disagree with a lot what you say, but arguing that the primary aim of education reform is to *take away* educational opportunities for most people seems like a huge simplification of what's actually going on.