[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue May 25 13:42:25 PDT 2010

Carrol Cox wrote:
> It is a fucking stupid question, which should not even be raised
> unless
> you have first reached a 100% certain solution to the question of how
> select the best weeders. And you will NEVER solve that problem.
>
> How many different teachers does one student have through the K-12
> years? What counts is how the combination of all th9ose teachers
> works,
> not on the (not measurable) competence of any one teacher.
>
> Asking such a fucking false question merely gives aid and comfort to
> union busters and other enemies of good schools.
>
> Carrool

what's interesting is that there's such an investment in the Heroic Teacher who must be so absolutely competent and wonderful so as to transform lives.

Same thing with any other profession. My word. Talk about the subject of history problem! Oh Henny Penny, the entire place will fall apart if the people who surf facebook all day write the code, shelve the books, etc.

It's as if there's this supposed huge discrepancy in competence among various employees. Hardly.[1]

shag

[1] sorry, channeling Bad Subjects' Fred Harris there for a minute.