[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue May 25 14:19:39 PDT 2010

Joanna: What I would say is that the primary aims of education reform are as follows

[WS:] I do not think that there is the "primary aim" of educational reform or policy in the US. The educational system (ES) is a prime example of what some organizational theorists call the "garbage can model" - or organizations where the set of stakeholders and decision makers is poorly defined and fluid, which results in different parties trying to push the organization every which way and applying different rules for setting the goals and performance measures. This arrangement typically results in "satisficing" behavior or pursing a course of action that is less than optional but also least objectionable to the stakeholders. In other words, it is the proverbial camel that was supposed to be a horse designed by a committee.

I am pretty sure that some stakeholders in the ES have the goals that you mention - but they are not the only stakeholders. There is a whole range of others - local politicos, businessmen peddling their products and services, ideologues of various stripes, religious cooks, crazy parents and so on with their own agendas and ideas. The end result is nearly total paralysis of the system which is trying to please all but actually pleases none.

I think that the root cause of this mess is the local control of education - if you replace it with federal control and funding, a great deal of the current woes would disappear.

Wojtek