[lbo-talk] More "school reform" nonsense

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue May 25 15:14:30 PDT 2010

At 06:00 PM 5/25/2010, Dennis Claxton wrote:
>At 01:42 PM 5/25/2010, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>

>>what's interesting is that there's such an investment in the Heroic
>>Teacher who must be so absolutely competent and wonderful so as to
>>transform lives.
>

>There's even a website. Find out how a teacher changed Howard Stern's
>life here:
>
>http://myteachermyhero.com/

:) I say all that, of course, being someone who still gets letters from
students who had me, who was considered a "teacher" at the blog, and who fondly remembers every teacher I loved. my point is that there is an ensemble of social relations that made it possible for me to fall in love with those teachers and feel their indelible mark upon me. one or two or a dozen mediocre teachers does not bring tragedy on a school or a student. students get a poor education for a multitude of reasons and pinning all our hopes on single teachers seems like a fucking stupid thing to waste political energy on. IOW, we have to pick battles and, AFAIC, one of those battles need not be "weeding".

An interesting test is if you would apply the logic about weeding to every other profession. Or is it just teaching?

shag